Who needs macaroni noodles to get the flavor of this iconic meal? Sub out noodles for mashed cauliflower, and you will be surprised how your family reacts to your sneakiness.
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets (or two bags frozen cauliflower florets)
- 2-4 oz. of three different kinds of cheese (6-8 oz. cheese total – you may use a combination of asiago, monterey jack and sharp cheddar or whatever you like)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 oz. container Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. light butter spread, melted
- 1/4 c. whole wheat bread crumbs (optional)
- 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- Dashes of: onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper and paprika
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Boil cauliflower florets until tender, then drain and mash.
- Mix in cheeses, yogurt and whatever spices (except paprika) you like in with the cauliflower florets. Stir thoroughly then mix in the egg.
- Transfer mixture into a 13 x 9 casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs (optional), Parmesan cheese and melted butter spread.
- Spread evenly over cauliflower mixture and top with a dash or two of paprika.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until top is nicely browned.
Recipe courtesy: bariatricfoodie.com
Photo courtesy: epicurious.com