You will easily pass on the store bought brands of sauce and their high sugar contents once you have discovered the ease of creating your own. This sauce gives those on the shelf a run for their money in terms of flavor and contains only a fraction of the sugar.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Makes 4 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups ketchup
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ cup Smuckers Sugar Free Apricot Preserves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Liquid Smoke
- Saute the onion and garlic in olive oil over medium high heat until golden brown and softened. Reduce heat to low and add ketchup, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, preserves, salt, pepper, chili powder, and Liquid Smoke; simmer 30 to 45 minutes, until mixture is thick and delicious.
- Sauce those ribs, burgers, and chicken!
Recipe courtesy www.bariatriceating.com