Preparing for Surgery
Preparing for Bariatric Surgery
What to Expect
Critical to our clients’ success is having the support of a bariatric team. Blossom Bariatrics offers all four components: medical, nutritional, psychological, and surgical. Our multidisciplinary team evaluates clients before surgery and provides education and treatment after surgery including medical, nutritional, and psychological care.
Dr. Tom Umbach encourages clients to research weight loss surgery and to a free seminar as well as one of our support groups before surgery. The support group setting is helpful for clients before surgery as they discuss their concerns and hear from other clients who have undergone bariatric surgery.
Selecting a Procedure
At your initial evaluation with Dr. Tom, you will discuss the benefits and risks of the different surgical procedures and together you will choose the most appropriate procedure. Once you choose a procedure, the next step is to create an action plan of everything you need to complete prior to your operation such as obtaining a sleep study or a visiting the dietician.
What Can I Do to Prepare?
Bariatric surgery is similar to other major surgeries. You can best prepare by knowing the benefits and risks of surgery and by closely following Dr. Tom’s instructions.
To mentally prepare yourself:
- Understand the surgical process and what to expect afterward. While most clients recover without any complications, some individuals might require revision bariatric surgery.
- Keep in mind that you’ll never be able to eat the way you did before, and that you’ll have to watch the way you eat for the rest of your life.
- Talk to people who have had bariatric surgery.
- Write a letter to yourself and your surgeon explaining your reasons for having bariatric surgery and outlining your plans to maintain your weight loss after surgery.
- Start a journal. Record how you feel now, the challenges you face, and the things you hope to be able to do after bariatric surgery.
- Get a letter of support from your family. It helps to know you have people behind you, waiting to help.
As you prepare yourself, our staff will also guide you to MindPrep™, our pre- and post-operative coaching program that can help you get in the right mindset to work toward a healthier you.
MindPrep™ is a series of five pre-op videos and five post-op videos designed to help you with emotional and behavioral aspects related to weight loss surgery. MindPrep™ will:
- Inform you about the numerous non-medical issues related to obesity and the importance of addressing these issues to increase the likelihood of maintaining post surgical weight loss.
- Assist you in preparing mentally and emotionally for surgery while you are preparing for it physically with the help of your surgeon, nutritionist, and bariatric team.
- Help you to understand that, just as obesity negatively affects every area of your life, recovery from obesity requires attention to each of these same areas.
- Remind you that obesity is a family disease that requires family recovery.
- Provide you with specific ideas and tools offered to motivate you to follow through with the behaviors necessary to keep excess weight off for your lifetime.
In addition to the videos, you’ll also have access to a series of introspective exercises (“homework”) to complete after each video and gain access to live monthly online support. Just click the button below and enter the password to get started!Go to MindPrep Now!
For any questions about any of our programs, give us a call at 855-BLOSSOM (256-7766) or chat with our live representative online.
To prepare yourself physically, follow the guidelines that Blossom Bariatrics will provide you. The guidelines will be based upon your procedure, your personal profile, and other factors. If followed strictly, you will maximize your success.
Blossom Bariatrics in Las Vegas, Nevada, is home to nationally renowned, board-certified and fellowship-trained surgeon, Dr. Tom Umbach and Dr. Matthew Apel. We offer a wealth of highly effective procedures, including the gastric sleeve and gastric bypass. In addition, our bariatric surgeons perform revision bariatric surgery for clients who have undergone unsatisfactory surgery elsewhere. Our team of dedicated professionals invite you to schedule a personal appointment.