Sugar-Free, Gluten-Free Red Velvet Cupcakes With Sugar-Free Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes 8 cupcakes
1/2 cup coconut flour
2 tablespoons natural, unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 egg whites
2 tablespoons Melt® Organic Buttery Spread, melted over low heat
1/2 cup low fat buttermilk*
1/2 cup erythritol, such as NOW Foods
1/2 teaspoon vanilla stevia extract
7 drops red gel food coloring
4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, room temperature
2 ounces Melt® Organic Buttery Spread
1 cup erythritol, powdered**
15 drops vanilla stevia, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place cupcake liners in 8 wells of a muffin tin.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and powdered buttermilk, if using. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, Melt, buttermilk or water, erythritol, and stevia. Mix on low speed with a hand blender until combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix well, beginning on low speed and increasing to high, for about 2 minutes, until well-blended and no lumps remain. Blend in food coloring until desired color is achieved.
- Divide batter evenly among the cupcake liners. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat together the cream cheese and Melt until fluffy (the Melt does not need to be warmed to room temperature; it will be soft enough straight from the refrigerator.) Add the powdered erythritol in several additions, beating well, until fluffy. Beat in liquid vanilla stevia drops to taste.
*You can substitute 1/2 cup water mixed with 2 tablespoons powdered buttermilk for 1/2 cup buttermilk.
**Use a coffee or spice grinder to crush the erythritol granules to a fine powder.
Photo courtesy delightfullyglutenfree.com
Recipe courtesy allrecipes.com